Potassium is an electrolyte that plays a crucial role in energy production in your body.
Adequate Intake per Day
No specific South African NRVs are assigned for Potassium
- Fruits and vegetables
Problems associated with deficiency
- Although deficiency is rare, it can lead to weakness, fatigue and abnormal heart contractions if it occurs
Potential benefits at recommended levels
- It is part of a number of metabolic actions, especially those that involve the release of energy
- Needed for muscle growth
- Regulates heartbeat and muscle contraction
- Helps regulate blood pressure
* This information is not intended to provide a complete review on any topic.
*The information in this section is in reference to healthy adults only, not to children or pregnant and lactating women.
*The Nutrient Reference Value (NRV) represents the establishment of a nutritional norm for planning and assessing dietary intake, and are the levels of intake of essential nutrients considered to be adequate to meet the known needs of practically all healthy people.
Note: Upper Safe Limits for both water and fat soluble vitamins have been established by international bodies. High levels of any vitamin can be potentially harmful and dangerous. Please consult your healthcare professional for advice.